For this assignment, students will investigate and propose a psychiatric diagnosis based on the case study from the Gorenstein and Comer (2015) textbook Case Studies in Abnormal Psychology, chosen in the Week One “Initial Call” discussion. This paper will include an in-depth overview of the disorder(s) within the diagnosis, treatment options for the diagnosis, and a sound rationale that explains why this diagnosis was made. Note that the diagnosis may include more than one psychiatric disorder.
The paper must present a thorough overview of each disorder within the diagnosis. Assume the audience has no prior knowledge of the disorder(s) within the diagnosis, and provide relevant and easy to understand explanations of each for the readers. When writing the paper, it is critical to convey all the necessary information in a straightforward manner using non-technical language. (Reference the Professional Voice and Writing (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. resource provided by the Ashford Writing Center for assistance.) Support the analysis with at least five peer-reviewed sources published within the last ten years in addition to the course text.
The Psychiatric Diagnosis topical paper must include the following:
· Explain psychological concepts in the patient’s presentation using professional terminology. Identify symptoms and behaviors exhibited by the patient in the chosen case study.
· Match the identified symptoms to potential disorders in a diagnostic manual.
· Propose a diagnosis based on the patient’s symptoms and the criteria listed for the disorder(s) in the diagnostic manual.
· Analyze and explain how the patient meets criteria for the disorder(s) according to the patient’s symptoms and the criteria outlined in the diagnostic manual.
· Justify the use of the chosen diagnostic manual (i.e., Why was this manual chosen over others?).
· Summarize general views of the diagnosis from multiple theoretical orientations and historical perspectives. Include a discussion on comorbidity if the diagnosis includes more than one disorder.
· Evaluate symptoms within the context of an appropriate theoretical orientation for this diagnosis.
· Use at least two peer-reviewed articles to assess the validity of this diagnosis, and describe who is most likely to have the diagnosis with regard to age, gender, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and ethnicity. Provide a brief evaluation of the scientific merit of these peer-reviewed sources in the validity assessment.
· Summarize the risk factors (i.e., biological, psychological, and/or social) for the diagnosis. If one of the categories is not relevant, address this within the summary.
· Compare evidence-based and non-evidence-based treatment options for the diagnosis.
· Evaluate well-established treatments for the diagnosis, and describe the likelihood of success or possible outcomes for each treatment.
· Create an annotated bibliography of five peer-reviewed references published within the last ten years to inform the diagnosis and treatment recommendations. In the annotated bibliography, write a two- to three-sentence evaluation of the scientific merit of each of these references. For additional assistance with this portion of the assignment, access the Ashford Writing Center’s Sample Annotated Bibliography (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
The Psychiatric Diagnosis
· Must be 8 to 15 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted
· Must use at least five peer-reviewed sources published within the last 10 years in addition to the course text.
· Must include a separate annotated bibliography page.
· Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
· Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
References that must be used. Additional references are welcomed
Al-Refu, K. (2013). Hair Loss in Children: Common and Uncommon Causes; Clinical and
Epidemiological Study in Jordan. International Journal of Trichology. DOI:10.4103/0974-7753.130393 Retrieved From http://eds.a.ebscohost.com.proxy-library.ashford.edu/eds/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=1&sid=21333fb5-81e3-4966-9e3f-d1901632d5e1%40sessionmgr4010
Lootens, C.M. and Nelson-Gray, R.O. (2016). Treating Trichotillomania: Successful Application
of Manualized Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy. Clinical Case Studies. Retrieved From http://journals.sagepub.com.proxy-library.ashford.edu/doi/pdf/10.1177/1534650116649438
Noble, C.M, Gnilka, P.B., Ashby, J.S. and McLaulin, S.E. (2017). Perfectionism, Shame, and
Trichotillomania Symptoms in Clinical and Nonclinical Samples. Journal of Mental Health Counseling. Retrieved from http://eds.b.ebscohost.com.proxy-library.ashford.edu/eds/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=2&sid=a325b54c-d45c-47db-9a0f-7eee9728f4c7%40sessionmgr104
Ramot, Y., Maly, A., Horev, L. and Zlotogorski (2013). Familial Trichotillomania in Three
Generations. International Journal of Trichology. Retrieved From http://eds.b.ebscohost.com.proxy-library.ashford.edu/eds/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=1&sid=acb5fa9b-0055-4d62-aa4f-cefcf2fc735d%40pdc-v-sessmgr01
Walker, T. (2016). Trichotillomania — diagnosis and treatment: a trichologist’s approach.
Dermatological Nursing. Retrieved from http://eds.a.ebscohost.com.proxy-library.ashford.edu/eds/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=2&sid=86374290-2e64-45e7-bcf4-7dc2f75bd65f%40sessionmgr4006
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more