Your assignment is to consider of the following statements/questions and write an essay around 8 – 10 pages. You are free to use whatever materials that you like, but I am much more interested in your own observations and analysis.
1. In attempting to define the field of public administration, several authors have commented that public administration has its origins in the Progressive era and the reform of government and/or society. The field, according to these authors, has never deviated from these roots. Explain how this statement is or is not true today.
2. The dichotomy between bureaucracy and democracy or politics and administration is one of the fundamental tensions in public administration. Discuss the underlying factors involved in this tension. Why, despite its undemocratic character, does bureaucracy remain central to governance?
3. In a 1947 speech Winston Churchill stated “it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.” Democracy means rule by the people, but the people are not experts. Public managers are the experts in their area of policy. Discuss how we can achieve democracy, efficiency, and effectiveness in government administration. What makes democracy ‘work’ within the context of current public administration?
4. A critical part of the role of public and nonprofit management is to get the best performance from the fewest resources, all while serving the public interest. Market-based strategies are among the tools available to achieve this. Explain in a City Council report how you would explore at least one market-based alternative to the current city employee-provided refuse system. What criteria would you propose the Council apply to review the current refuse service delivery system and the selection of the most beneficial service direction for the city?
5. “Leadership mobilizes, naked power coerces” (Burns, 1978). Using either a transformational or incremental approach to leadership, observe how public organizations can involve a blend of managing results, managing relationships, as well as managing in the public interest ethically.
6. The classical theories of organizations (i.e. Weber’s bureaucratic theory; Taylor’s scientific management) argued that there is “one best way” to structure organizations. Explain how organizational scholarship has evolved since these early approaches. What do we know at the beginning of the 21st century about how to best structure organizations?
101papers.com is always working towards customer satisfaction. Our professional academic writers always aim at producing comprehensive papers that possess quality and originality at pocket-friendly prices. Students are assured that all their private information is safe with us.
101papers.com provides a system where students can request for money-back in case they cancel the order or in the rare instances of dissatisfaction. The refund policy adheres to the company’s term and conditions on money-back.Read more
While providing the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee all our students of plagiarism-free papers. All papers produced by our professional academic writers are checked against all web resources and previously completed papers to avoid plagiarism.Read more
In our urge to provide the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee students of free revision policy. The free revision policy is a courtesy service where students can request for unlimited for their completed papers. We always aim at achieving 100% customer satisfaction rates. The free revision policy is one among many of our major advantages.Read more
At 101papers.com, every student is entitled to total security. Our professional academic writers are always committed to protecting all private information of our customers. We do not share any personal information with third parties. Additionally, we provide safe systems for all online transactions.Read more
Working with us is the greatest step towards achieving all your academic goals. We always deliver the best professional essay writing services as promised. We, therefore, expect all students to work cooperatively with us, as we work towards achieving our goal, your satisfaction. This way, all services will be delivered accurately and on time.Read more