MG 620 Research and statistics for Managers April 2016
Final Exam Instructions: Answer all questions
Part I : Problem
1. Fitting a straight line to a set of data yields the following prediction line:
Y = 10 + 4X
i) Interpret the meaning of the Y intercept, b0.
ii) Interpret the meaning of the slope, b1
iii) Predict the mean value of Y for X =8
2. College administrators are interested in determining if the number of hours students study affects the GPA of students. They sample 6 students and determine the number of hours of studied last month and their GPA. These data are presented in the table that follows.
Student Hours Study(X) GPA (Y)
1 1 4
2 2 6
3 1 3
4 0 1
5 1 1
6 2 5
0 1 2 3 X
b) Estimate the intercept (b0). Show your work
c) Estimate the slope (b1). Show your work
c) Draw the regression line
3. If SSR = 75 and SST = 88, compute the coefficient of determination, r2, and interpret its meaning.
4. A Professor at a Community College does not want its students to wait in line for service for too long. She estimated that the students currently have to wait an average of 4 minutes for service. Assume that the waiting times for all customers at this branch have a normal distribution with a mean of 8 minutes and a standard deviation of 2 minutes.
Find the probability that randomly selected customer will have to wait for less than 4 minutes?
Instructions: Show all steps:
1. Draw the normal curve and indicate the mean, standard deviation, and the X bar scale
2. Identify the area of interest (that is shade the area under the curve that you will compute the probability).
3. Covert the X bar values in Z scores
4. Look up the Z standardized table for the cumulative area(s).
5. Now, make your decision ( that a customer will wait for less than 4 minutes)
1. A Professor at a Community College does not want its students to wait in line for service for too long. She estimated that the students currently have to wait an average of 4 minutes for service. Assume that the waiting times for all customers at this branch have a normal distribution with a mean of 8 minutes and a standard deviation of 2 minutes.
What is the probability that customers have to wait for 2 to 8 minutes?
Instructions: Show all steps:
a. Draw the normal curve and indicate the mean, standard deviation, and the X bar scale
b. Identify the area of interest (that is shade the area under the curve that you will compute the probability).
c. Covert the X bar values in Z scores
d. Look up the Z standardized table for the cumulative area(s).
e. Now, make your decision ( that a customer will have to wait for 2 to 8 minutes)
10. One thousand teachers were selected from a city’s large private college, and they were asked whether or not they have health coverage provided by their college. Below is the two-way contingency table showing health care coverage.
Have Health Coverage
Yes No Total
Men 450 150 600
Women 300 100 400
Total 750 250 1000
Suppose a someone is selected at random from these 1000 teachers,
a) Find the probability that this person is a woman
b) What is the probability that a person selected is a woman and has health coverage
c) What is the probability that a teacher has health coverage given that the teacher is a man
d) What is the probability the teacher is a woman given that she does not have health coverage
11. A Motel owner wishes to sell his apartment. He claims that over the past 8 months, the average daily rent revenue was $200 with a standard deviation of $25. A sample of 30 days reveals daily revenue of $150.
If you use the significance level of α = .05, would you reject the null hypothesis? Show all steps!
1. State the Hypothesis( Null and Alternative)
2. Draw the normal distribution and identify the acceptance and rejection regions
3. Compute the Z STAT value
4. Compare your ZSTAT with the Z Tabled value.
5. Make you decision
101papers.com is always working towards customer satisfaction. Our professional academic writers always aim at producing comprehensive papers that possess quality and originality at pocket-friendly prices. Students are assured that all their private information is safe with us.
101papers.com provides a system where students can request for money-back in case they cancel the order or in the rare instances of dissatisfaction. The refund policy adheres to the company’s term and conditions on money-back.Read more
While providing the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee all our students of plagiarism-free papers. All papers produced by our professional academic writers are checked against all web resources and previously completed papers to avoid plagiarism.Read more
In our urge to provide the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee students of free revision policy. The free revision policy is a courtesy service where students can request for unlimited for their completed papers. We always aim at achieving 100% customer satisfaction rates. The free revision policy is one among many of our major advantages.Read more
At 101papers.com, every student is entitled to total security. Our professional academic writers are always committed to protecting all private information of our customers. We do not share any personal information with third parties. Additionally, we provide safe systems for all online transactions.Read more
Working with us is the greatest step towards achieving all your academic goals. We always deliver the best professional essay writing services as promised. We, therefore, expect all students to work cooperatively with us, as we work towards achieving our goal, your satisfaction. This way, all services will be delivered accurately and on time.Read more