Substance Abuse at Rocky University
Substance abuse has always been a problem at colleges and universities. However, some are alarmed by the recent misuse of prescription medication and by the legalization of marijuana in some states. Many businesses are concerned that substance abuse will impact them if graduates (future employees) have developed a pattern of substance abuse while still in college. An article reported that 46% of U.S. college students have been involved in some type of substance abuse.
Substance abuse has been a concern of the president of Rocky University for several years. Some faculty members in the university believe that substance abuse is more widespread at Rocky than at other universities, while other faculty members think that substance abuse is not a major problem in the college. To resolve some of these issues, the president of the university commissioned a study to assess the current substance abuse behavior of students at Rocky. As part of this study, an anonymous exit survey was administered to a sample of 90 students from this year’s graduating class. Responses to the following questions were used to obtain data regarding three types of substance abuse.
1. During your time at Rocky, did you ever participate in binge drinking?
1. During your time at Rocky, did you ever abuse prescription medication?
1. During your time at Rocky, did you ever use any type of illegal or illicit drug (not included in questions 1 or 2)?
Any student who answered yes to one or more of these questions was considered to have been involved in some type of substance abuse. The complete data set is in the file named Abuse, linked at the bottom of the page.
Prepare a report (see below) for the president of the university that summarizes your assessment of the nature of substance abuse by students at Rocky University. Be sure to include the following seven (7) items in your report.
1. To summarize the data, compute the proportion of all students, the proportion of all male students, and the proportion of all female students who
1. Participated in binge drinking.
2. Abused prescription medication.
3. Used illegal or illicit drugs.
Then comment on your findings.
2. Develop 90% confidence intervals for the proportion of all students, the proportion of all male students, and the proportion of all female students who were involved in some type of substance abuse.
3. Develop 90% confidence intervals for the proportion of all students, the proportion of all male students, and the proportion of all female students who participated in binge drinking.
4. Develop 90% confidence intervals for the proportion of all students, the proportion of all male students, and the proportion of all female students who abused prescription medication.
5. Develop 90% confidence intervals for the proportion of all students, the proportion of all male students, and the proportion of all female students who used illegal or illicit drugs.
6. Conduct a hypothesis test (using either the p-value approach or the critical value approach) to determine if the proportion of all students at Rocky University who were not involved in some type of substance abuse is less than that of all U.S. students elsewhere. Use α = 0.10.
Do not forget to include the correctly worded hypotheses.
7. What advice would you give to the president of the university based upon your analysis of the data? What is the magnitude of the issue? What would you recommend for both students and faculty? What is the potential impact on relationships with the business community and what would you recommend? How can this study be improved?
Write a report that adheres to the Written Assignment Requirements under the heading “Expectations for CSU-Global Written Assignments” found in the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements. As with all written assignments at CSU-Global, you should have in-text citations and a reference page. An example paper is provided in the MTH410 Guide to Writing with Statistics, linked at the bottom of the page.
Be sure that your report contains the following:
Be sure to submit your Excel file as well.
NOTE: Submitting your Excel file will aid in grading with partial credit if errors are found in the paper
101papers.com is always working towards customer satisfaction. Our professional academic writers always aim at producing comprehensive papers that possess quality and originality at pocket-friendly prices. Students are assured that all their private information is safe with us.
101papers.com provides a system where students can request for money-back in case they cancel the order or in the rare instances of dissatisfaction. The refund policy adheres to the company’s term and conditions on money-back.Read more
While providing the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee all our students of plagiarism-free papers. All papers produced by our professional academic writers are checked against all web resources and previously completed papers to avoid plagiarism.Read more
In our urge to provide the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee students of free revision policy. The free revision policy is a courtesy service where students can request for unlimited for their completed papers. We always aim at achieving 100% customer satisfaction rates. The free revision policy is one among many of our major advantages.Read more
At 101papers.com, every student is entitled to total security. Our professional academic writers are always committed to protecting all private information of our customers. We do not share any personal information with third parties. Additionally, we provide safe systems for all online transactions.Read more
Working with us is the greatest step towards achieving all your academic goals. We always deliver the best professional essay writing services as promised. We, therefore, expect all students to work cooperatively with us, as we work towards achieving our goal, your satisfaction. This way, all services will be delivered accurately and on time.Read more