Heart-Healthy Diet Changes
Dave is a 46-year-old attorney with a family history of heart disease (his father had a heart attack at the age of 56) whose recent blood tests reveal high blood LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels. His doctor has advised him to eat less fat in his diet. Dave is a self-confessed “foodie” and he enjoys wine and cheese at several social functions each week. He cooks with “real” butter at home and uses half milk and half cream in his coffee. Although fairly inactive, Dave keeps his weight stable at 170 pounds. He is 5 feet 10 inches tall.
1. What factors may be contributing to Dave’s elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels?
2. From the history given, identify the main sources of saturated fat in Dave’s diet. What are some reasonable changes he could make to lower his intake of saturated fat from these foods?
3. Assume Dave eats about 2000 kcalories a day and that his doctor has advised him to limit his fat intake to 35 percent of his daily kcalories. Refer to the “How to” feature (p. 155) of this chapter to calculate his personal Daily Value for fat.
4. According to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, what is the maximum percentage of kcalories from saturated fat that Dave should consume each day? Remembering that 1 gram of fat contains 9 kcalories, calculate the maximum grams of saturated fat that Dave should eat each day based on his daily intake of 2000 kcalories.
5. Using information from Highlight 5, what additional advice would you offer Dave to improve his heart health?
6. Plan a one-day menu for Dave with higher amounts of healthful fatty acids and lower amounts of harmful fatty acids.
101papers.com is always working towards customer satisfaction. Our professional academic writers always aim at producing comprehensive papers that possess quality and originality at pocket-friendly prices. Students are assured that all their private information is safe with us.
101papers.com provides a system where students can request for money-back in case they cancel the order or in the rare instances of dissatisfaction. The refund policy adheres to the company’s term and conditions on money-back.Read more
While providing the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee all our students of plagiarism-free papers. All papers produced by our professional academic writers are checked against all web resources and previously completed papers to avoid plagiarism.Read more
In our urge to provide the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee students of free revision policy. The free revision policy is a courtesy service where students can request for unlimited for their completed papers. We always aim at achieving 100% customer satisfaction rates. The free revision policy is one among many of our major advantages.Read more
At 101papers.com, every student is entitled to total security. Our professional academic writers are always committed to protecting all private information of our customers. We do not share any personal information with third parties. Additionally, we provide safe systems for all online transactions.Read more
Working with us is the greatest step towards achieving all your academic goals. We always deliver the best professional essay writing services as promised. We, therefore, expect all students to work cooperatively with us, as we work towards achieving our goal, your satisfaction. This way, all services will be delivered accurately and on time.Read more