Length:1,800-2,000 words, 2,000 words max
You are required to select an ethical issue which has been reported in the news media in the past 12 months. Collect one recent (2014 or 2015) news article that discusses th eissue, and perform further research to collect relevant background information and facts, to enable you to answer each question listed below.
This ethical issue must be different with Killer Robots
You must provide a full reference of all sources of information you have used to inform your research. Provide separate answers to each of parts ‘a to e’ of this assessment under clearly headed sections:
a. Clearly define the ethical issue and provide a brief explanation as to why it is important. (3 marks)
b. Identify facts and key assumptions which are relevant to your analysis of the ethical issue. (6 marks)
c. Analyse the ethical issue using act utilitarianism, identifying all relevant consequences. Compare negative versus positive consequences and assess whether net utility will rise or fall as a result of the ethical act being examined. (8 marks)
d. Apply Kant’s categorical imperative by defining the rule that authorises the act central to the ethical issue you have chosen. Discuss whether this rule can be applied universally. (8 marks)
e. Provide a conclusion comparing results in parts c & d above identifying whether your ethical conclusion equates with your conscience on this issue. (5 marks)
You do not need to provide a copy of the news article but you must provide full references of all articles and other sources you have used to inform your ethical analysis.
Analysis by Institute for Global Ethics and the St James Ethics Centre are highly recommended sources for information and ethical analysis.
Here are some guidelines to help you:
1. Keep your ethical question short, focused and clear.
2. Use a should or ought word in your ethical question – e.g. should I eat that last donut?
3. Make sure your ethical question is not a legal question or a question of fact.
4. Separate your ethical analysis from the ethical question. e.g. we might ethically analyse drone warfare and discover drone warfare is cheaper than an invade and occupy military strategy. However we would not frame the ethical question as: ■ Should the US use drones because it’s cheaper? ■ Rather we would include the cost factor in the analysis but leave it out of the question.14 SOC10236 Applied Ethics and Sustainability
5. Don’t define ethical questions with obvious yes/no answers for your assignments. Should I study hard or become a mass murderer? Should children be good to their mums? The ethical question must require some level of analysis so that you can display your skills to the markers!
6. Define your question to focus on one ethical issue, rather than a combination of many issues.
7. Don’t begin your analysis with a predetermined position i.e. don’t form your ethical conclusion before you’ve done the analysis and don’t include this predetermined position in your question; e.g. is it ethical for you to engage in dangerous, risky and pointless activities such as canyoning and then ask me to rescue you when you get in trouble?
101papers.com is always working towards customer satisfaction. Our professional academic writers always aim at producing comprehensive papers that possess quality and originality at pocket-friendly prices. Students are assured that all their private information is safe with us.
101papers.com provides a system where students can request for money-back in case they cancel the order or in the rare instances of dissatisfaction. The refund policy adheres to the company’s term and conditions on money-back.Read more
While providing the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee all our students of plagiarism-free papers. All papers produced by our professional academic writers are checked against all web resources and previously completed papers to avoid plagiarism.Read more
In our urge to provide the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee students of free revision policy. The free revision policy is a courtesy service where students can request for unlimited for their completed papers. We always aim at achieving 100% customer satisfaction rates. The free revision policy is one among many of our major advantages.Read more
At 101papers.com, every student is entitled to total security. Our professional academic writers are always committed to protecting all private information of our customers. We do not share any personal information with third parties. Additionally, we provide safe systems for all online transactions.Read more
Working with us is the greatest step towards achieving all your academic goals. We always deliver the best professional essay writing services as promised. We, therefore, expect all students to work cooperatively with us, as we work towards achieving our goal, your satisfaction. This way, all services will be delivered accurately and on time.Read more