Case Study 1: Reducing Disease Risk
Mary P. is a 57-year-old operating room nurse who works full-time at a local hospital. She is 65 inches tall and weighs 160 pounds. She has a family history of diabetes and heart disease and was recently diagnosed with high blood cholesterol. She has declined the cholesterol-lowering medication her doctor prescribed, and says she would like to explore other methods for lowering her cholesterol first. For the past few weeks, Mary has been taking a tablespoon of coconut oil every day after reading on the Internet that this will lower her cholesterol. She admits she has little time or energy to exercise. Her diet history reveals she often skips breakfast or has a donut or bagel with cream cheese at work. She drinks several cups of coffee each morning with cream and sugar. Lunch is a salad with crackers and iced tea with sugar in the hospital cafeteria. She occasionally drinks one or two glasses of wine in the evening, especially after a stressful day at work. She lives alone and relies on frozen dinners or other convenience foods in the evening. An analysis of her diet reveals an average daily intake of 200 grams carbohydrate, 50 grams protein, and 80 grams of fat.
1. Taking into account her current lifestyle and personal food preferences, what food habits might be difficult for Mary to change?
2. How might her emotions contribute to her food and drink choices?
3. Using Table 1-2, calculate Mary’s average daily kcalorie intake from carbohydrates, protein, and fat. Add these figures to together to arrive at her total daily caloric intake.
4. What percentage of her daily calories is provided by carbohydrates? Protein? Fat?
5. Compare the composition of Mary’s diet with the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges (AMDR).
6. How would you use the information above to make dietary recommendations for Mary?
7. What are some credible sources of nutrition information from Table H1-1 that could provide information to help Mary lower her blood cholesterol?
 Contributed by Barbara Quinn.
101papers.com is always working towards customer satisfaction. Our professional academic writers always aim at producing comprehensive papers that possess quality and originality at pocket-friendly prices. Students are assured that all their private information is safe with us.
101papers.com provides a system where students can request for money-back in case they cancel the order or in the rare instances of dissatisfaction. The refund policy adheres to the company’s term and conditions on money-back.Read more
While providing the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee all our students of plagiarism-free papers. All papers produced by our professional academic writers are checked against all web resources and previously completed papers to avoid plagiarism.Read more
In our urge to provide the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee students of free revision policy. The free revision policy is a courtesy service where students can request for unlimited for their completed papers. We always aim at achieving 100% customer satisfaction rates. The free revision policy is one among many of our major advantages.Read more
At 101papers.com, every student is entitled to total security. Our professional academic writers are always committed to protecting all private information of our customers. We do not share any personal information with third parties. Additionally, we provide safe systems for all online transactions.Read more
Working with us is the greatest step towards achieving all your academic goals. We always deliver the best professional essay writing services as promised. We, therefore, expect all students to work cooperatively with us, as we work towards achieving our goal, your satisfaction. This way, all services will be delivered accurately and on time.Read more