Final Applied Lab Project (1 credit Lab Component)
Addresses course outcomes 1-4:
This is the culminating lab assessment in BIOL 103. It is designed to assess your ability to apply the principles of the scientific method.
The Effect of low pH on Enzyme Activity
Design an experiment in which you will test the effect of an acidic fluid on enzymatic activity. Recall: enzymes are proteins! To complete this project, it may be useful for you to first review the Scientific Method Tutorial, the OLI module about pH and enzymes, Lab 1 (Introduction to Science) and Lab 4 (Enzymes). As you review Lab 4, you will be reminded that there are several factors that impact enzymatic activity: pH, temperature, and amount of reagent. It is OK to use the same enzyme/substrate/method as you did in lab 4 (but modify the treatment), or you can search on-line to find a different enzyme/substrate/method for measuring enzyme activity for your project (include all references).
As you design your experiment for this project, please remember that you are trying to examine how an acidic fluid will modify the outcome of an enzymatic reaction. To successfully complete this project, you will need to identify the question(s) being asked in your experiment and the hypothesis that you are testing. In your experimental design, you must clearly explain what you are doing. That means that you will need to identify the enzyme, the substrate, the acidic fluid used as treatment, the control treatment and the method of measuring enzyme activity, as well as explain your experimental protocol. You must also thoroughly explain how the acidic fluid impacted enzyme activity based on the results from your own experiment as well as knowledge of enzymes and pH from the OLI modules, lab manual and potentially additional information sources.
Hint: Keep in mind that the acid will change the environmental conditions of the experiment (for example, a low pH value could change the shape of the active site on the enzyme protein), without directly participating in the reaction.
You may need all or some of the following, depending on your experimental design:
Materials from your lab kit:
You may choose to use additional materials (different acidic fluids and/or different organisms and/or different substrate if you chose an enzyme other than catalase).
Outline submit in assignment folder in week 5.
Include the following in your outline:
Write a paper that includes the following:
1. Title page: descriptive title, your name, course name, semester
2. Introduction: general background information about enzymes and specific information about your chosen enzyme, the question(s) that you are asking and a clear hypothesis for your experiment (20 points).
3. Design an experiment. Provide a detailed description of the materials and methods used to conduct the experiment. Identify control and experimental samples, as well as independent and dependent variables. Also include the methods used for data collection and analysis (20 points).
4. Conduct the experiment and record your results. What did you observe? Present your data in table and/or graph format. Remember to label everything and include the unit of measure with all numbers (20 points)
5. Use your knowledge of enzymes and pH to interpret and discuss your results. It may be necessary for you to refer to the OLI course modules, lab manual and/or use additional information resources. What effect does the acidic treatment have on enzyme activity? Did you get the expected results? Explain. (20 points)
6. State a specific and accurate conclusion. Is your hypothesis supported by the results? Looking back, how could you have improved your experiment? (10 points)
7. Include a list of references to all information sources used in APA format (5 points).
101papers.com is always working towards customer satisfaction. Our professional academic writers always aim at producing comprehensive papers that possess quality and originality at pocket-friendly prices. Students are assured that all their private information is safe with us.
101papers.com provides a system where students can request for money-back in case they cancel the order or in the rare instances of dissatisfaction. The refund policy adheres to the company’s term and conditions on money-back.Read more
While providing the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee all our students of plagiarism-free papers. All papers produced by our professional academic writers are checked against all web resources and previously completed papers to avoid plagiarism.Read more
In our urge to provide the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee students of free revision policy. The free revision policy is a courtesy service where students can request for unlimited for their completed papers. We always aim at achieving 100% customer satisfaction rates. The free revision policy is one among many of our major advantages.Read more
At 101papers.com, every student is entitled to total security. Our professional academic writers are always committed to protecting all private information of our customers. We do not share any personal information with third parties. Additionally, we provide safe systems for all online transactions.Read more
Working with us is the greatest step towards achieving all your academic goals. We always deliver the best professional essay writing services as promised. We, therefore, expect all students to work cooperatively with us, as we work towards achieving our goal, your satisfaction. This way, all services will be delivered accurately and on time.Read more