Text edition 7:
Chapter 12 – Questions and Problems – 5, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13.
Rubric Assignment 5:
Calculation Questions. Show your work – include formulas and step by step calculations.
5. Nominal versus Real Returns: What is the average annual return on Canadian stock from 1957 through 2008:
a. In nominal terms?
b. In real terms?
7. Calculating Returns and Variability: Using the following returns, calculate the arithmetic average returns, the variances and the standard deviations for X and Y.
Year X Y
1 6% 18%
2 24 39
3 13 -6
4 -14 -20
5 15 47
8. Risk Premiums: Refer to the table attached and look at the period from 1970-1975.
a. Calculate the arithmetic average returns for large-company stocks and T-Bills over this period.
b. Calculate the standard deviation of the returns for large-company stocks and T-Bills over this period.
c. Calculate the observed risk premium in each year for the large-company stocks versus T-Bills. What was the average risk premium over this period? What was the standard deviation of the risk premium over this period?
d. Is it possible for the risk premium to be negative before an investment is undertaken? Can the risk premium be negative after the fact?
9. Calculating Returns and Variability: You’ve observed the following returns on Crash-n-Burn Computer’s stock over the past 5 years: 2 percent, -8 percent, 24percent, 19 percent and 12 percent.
a. What was the arithmetic average return on Crash-n-Burn’s stock over this 5-year period?
12. Effects of Inflation: Look at table 12.1 (same table from Q8) and the attached figure (12.4), When were T-bill rates at their highest over the period of 1957 through 2008? Why do you think they were so high during this period? What relationship underlies your answer?
13. Calculating Investment Returns: You bought one of Great White Shark Repellant Co’s 7 percent coupon bonds one year ago for $920. These bonds make annual payments and mature in six years from now. Suppose you decide to sell your bonds today, when the required return on bonds is 8 percent. If the inflation rate was 4.2 percent over the past year, what was your total real return on investment?
101papers.com is always working towards customer satisfaction. Our professional academic writers always aim at producing comprehensive papers that possess quality and originality at pocket-friendly prices. Students are assured that all their private information is safe with us.
101papers.com provides a system where students can request for money-back in case they cancel the order or in the rare instances of dissatisfaction. The refund policy adheres to the company’s term and conditions on money-back.Read more
While providing the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee all our students of plagiarism-free papers. All papers produced by our professional academic writers are checked against all web resources and previously completed papers to avoid plagiarism.Read more
In our urge to provide the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee students of free revision policy. The free revision policy is a courtesy service where students can request for unlimited for their completed papers. We always aim at achieving 100% customer satisfaction rates. The free revision policy is one among many of our major advantages.Read more
At 101papers.com, every student is entitled to total security. Our professional academic writers are always committed to protecting all private information of our customers. We do not share any personal information with third parties. Additionally, we provide safe systems for all online transactions.Read more
Working with us is the greatest step towards achieving all your academic goals. We always deliver the best professional essay writing services as promised. We, therefore, expect all students to work cooperatively with us, as we work towards achieving our goal, your satisfaction. This way, all services will be delivered accurately and on time.Read more