Analysis and Application Paper Instructions
To successfully complete this assignment, you will:
· Analyze 3 scenarios (based on actual events) and identify developmental characteristics of a child aged 2–6 that are evident in the behavior of the children described.
· Apply knowledge from the field of developmental psychology to provide a basis for the legal system’s determination that children should not be held responsible for crimes committed.
· Present this information in a professional manner, implementing current APA guidelines for style and formatting.
One day at school in a small town in Michigan, two children had a disagreement on the playground. This was not an unusual occurrence as anyone who has spent time with six-year olds can attest. However, the next day a terrible tragedy resulted. While the teacher led the class through the hall to the computer lab, one of the children pulled a loaded pistol from his backpack, pointed it at his classmate shouting, “I don’t like you,” and then shot her. She died soon after at the hospital.
Six-year-old Michael and Bill* lived in the hills of Kentucky. One day, Michael found some scrap metal that he hoped to sell for a few cents. When Bill (who was older) slapped Michael and took the metal for himself, Michael ran home, took his father’s shotgun down from the wall, then went outside and shot his playmate dead. *Not their real names.
In a hot, overcrowded apartment in Kansas City, a sixteen-year old girl fell asleep while baby-sitting several young children. She did not awaken when an 18-month old boy in her charge began to cry. When a six-year old girl grew tired of listening to him, she took the younger child to the bathtub, and held him under water until he died.
Each of these stories represents a tragic and senseless loss of life. While an adult in any of these circumstances would certainly have been charged with first-degree murder, none of the children described were punished because standards within our legal system indicate that young children cannot be held responsible for crimes such as these.
For this assignment, imagine that you are a developmental psychologist asked to defend this policy. Your arguments must describe developmental characteristics found in children at this age. You will apply concepts and theories used in developmental psychology to explain why our legal system is justified in ruling that young children are not responsible for criminal actions. Use only information provided in this document and in our textbook. Do not make assumptions about home life, parenting, environment, etc.
Your paper must include 3 main sections (in addition to your introduction and conclusion):
· First, describe a biological argument for this policy. What physical or biological characteristics do we find in a child under six years of age that would excuse them from responsibility for their actions? (Focus on development within the brain, not myelination or motor skills).
· Second, describe a cognitive argument for this policy. What is it about the way a child processes information during this stage of life that would lead us to believe that they are not capable of understanding the consequences of their actions (focus on the work of Piaget).
· Third, provide an argument for this policy based on the child’s emotional and/or social development. What characteristics do we find in a child of this age in terms of emotional and moral development?
· In your conclusion identify which of the 3 factors provides the most compelling argument for this legal standard.
Research and Formatting Requirements:
· Proper APA formatting is required for this assignment. Current APA resources have been made available for you and can be found in the Addition Information folder.
· Using only your textbook as a resource, include concepts to support your arguments. Identify any information used with in-text citations.
· Your paper must include 900–1,200 words.
· You are a professional in training. Remember to check spelling, punctuation, and grammar before submitting your paper. Click here for tips on writing at the college level.
DO NOT include the following in your paper:
· Legal definitions of criminal intent or culpability.
· Environmental factors related to parenting, neglect, socio-economic status, or role-models.
· Spiritual interventions that might have prevented these tragedies.
101papers.com is always working towards customer satisfaction. Our professional academic writers always aim at producing comprehensive papers that possess quality and originality at pocket-friendly prices. Students are assured that all their private information is safe with us.
101papers.com provides a system where students can request for money-back in case they cancel the order or in the rare instances of dissatisfaction. The refund policy adheres to the company’s term and conditions on money-back.Read more
While providing the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee all our students of plagiarism-free papers. All papers produced by our professional academic writers are checked against all web resources and previously completed papers to avoid plagiarism.Read more
In our urge to provide the best professional essay writing services, we guarantee students of free revision policy. The free revision policy is a courtesy service where students can request for unlimited for their completed papers. We always aim at achieving 100% customer satisfaction rates. The free revision policy is one among many of our major advantages.Read more
At 101papers.com, every student is entitled to total security. Our professional academic writers are always committed to protecting all private information of our customers. We do not share any personal information with third parties. Additionally, we provide safe systems for all online transactions.Read more
Working with us is the greatest step towards achieving all your academic goals. We always deliver the best professional essay writing services as promised. We, therefore, expect all students to work cooperatively with us, as we work towards achieving our goal, your satisfaction. This way, all services will be delivered accurately and on time.Read more